Thursday, September 9, 2010

Taking the Gospels on the Chin

It must have been tough to be a disciple of Jesus. You get to feeling all bubbly and happy and good about following Jesus. You're ready to hold hands and sing Kumbaya all the way to the Pearly Gates. Then He does it, He goes into boxer mode. Yep, Jesus starts throwing the zingers at you and your glass jaw, packing more power than Tyson in his prime. Take the last three Gospels, for example.

Right Hook: Luke 13
After the master of the house has risen and locked the door, then will you stand outside knocking and saying, 'Lord, open the door for us.' He will say in reply, 'I do not know where you are from.'
And you will say,'We ate and drank in your company and you taught in our streets.'
The he will say to you,'I do not know where (you) are from. Depart from me, all you evildoers!'
(Oooh, that hurts!)

Left Cross: Luke 14: 11-12
For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.
(Well, thanks Lord. Great advice.)
Then he said to the host who invited him, "When you hold a lunch or dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or your wealthy neighbors, in case they may invite you back and you have repayment.
Rather, when you hold a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind...
(There had to be a catch. Ouch!)

Upper Cut: Luke 14:26
"If any one comes to me without hating his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple."
(Triple OUCH!!!)

TKO! Round 1. Makes me wonder if I am fit for this...if I am worthy. Can I cut the mustard to get (and stay) with Christ in His ring? Put the guitar away brothers and sisters, no group sing tonight. I have to get some ice for these bruises.

No comments:

Post a Comment